Choosing the Best Radar Detector
If you are looking for the best radar detector, you first need to review some of the options that are available on the market right now. One of these devices can help you save countless dollars in traffic tickets, so it is an excellent overall investment to make.
Some radar detectors offer more and/or better features than others, making it all the more important for you to do the necessary research. This article will provide you with reviews for some of the best radar detector devices so you can choose one that matches your needs perfectly.
Top 10 Radar Detectors
- Radenso XP Radar/Laser Detector
This radar detector features will provide you with radar alerts that extend all the way up to 5-6 miles from wherever you are on the road at any given moment. It is one of the quietest models you will find on the market right now, so there aren’t any irritating loud noises to contend with.
The GPS lockout function of this device allows it to store repetitious false alerts for even better accuracy. One of the biggest problems that these devices have is that they produce too many inaccurate notifications, but that isn’t an issue with this one.
Automatic muting is another feature that you will get with this radar detector, which adjusts according to your pre-selected volume. There is a whole database of speed camera and red light camera locations to keep you alert at all times while driving. This feature will help you modify your driving according to where you are.
There are three sensitivity modes that you can set—Highway, City and Auto City. This will help you to reduce the number of false alerts you get no matter where you are driving. The Auto City feature is particularly useful and convenient.
The OLED display is bright and crisp, and it gives you all of the information you need on detected signals. This display will allow you to stay aware of threats without the need for loud audio alerts. The technology behind this device is quite impressive, and it is undetectable to VG-2 or Spectre technology. This means that there is a good chance that even if you pass a policeman with a radar gun, they won’t be able to get your speed.
This radar detector has voice alerts that will tell you about any detected signals while allowing you to remain focused on your driving at all times. There are over 250 unique messages for different signals and threats. The audio notifications are extremely clear and easy to understand every single time.
- Three sensitivity options for reduced false alerts in the city or on the highway.
- Blind spot monitor filter feature provides you with complete protection.
- Bright OLED display is very clear and gives you all the details you need for detected threats.
- Undetectable with VG-2 and Spectre technology.
- Low noise amplifier will ensure that you never have to deal with any annoying loud noises.
- Excellent at picking up on K-band frequencies.
- Entire database of red light and speed cameras in many different geographic locations.
- Long range design gives you lots of time to react to threats before it is too late.
- Automatic speed muting.
- Fewer false alerts than most other radar detectors on the market.
- It does produce false alerts but rarely.
- Radar clip that comes with device is a bit flimsy.
Overall, the Radenso XP radar and laser detector is a great device for those who want to remain constantly aware of everything from speed traps to red light cameras wherever they go. It has quite an impressive design with state-of-the-art technology. Available for $350, this is a very good deal as a whole.
Uniden R3 Extremely Long-Range Radar Detector
The Uniden R3 has a unique design that is unlike any other radar detector you will come across. The digital signal processing is head and shoulders above what you will find with other devices on the market. This advanced technology is what makes this device so effective at identifying threats.
You will be sure to find the GPS with speed camera and red light camera alerts to be useful many times over. Most people are completely unaware of these cameras, and as a result they end up getting expensive tickers in the mail.
The KA filter reduces the occurrence of false alerts so you can get accurate detections at least 95% of the time. The auto mute feature will lower the volume to your pre-set level so that it never gets too loud. The last thing you want to deal with is a loud and annoying radar detector when you are trying to drive, so this is a great feature.
You will quickly discover that Uniden radar detectors have super-bright OLED displays that show signal strength and other pertinent information. The multi-function display includes a compass, voltage, time of day, and even an altimeter. All of these functions can be very useful at one point or another when you are driving.
Those who order this device will receive two suction cup mounting brackets that can be placed on the windshield for your convenience. There are some states that prohibit the use of radar detectors on windshields, so it is important that you do your research.
The GPS database updates can be downloaded directly from Uniden, and they are completely free. It is highly recommended that you keep checking back for these updates so you can get the most out of this device. When you are ready to update the GPS, just connect the radar detector to your computer.
When you use this device, you will always get plenty of warning as to speed traps and other threats that are down the road. The more time you have to react, the less likely you will be to receive a ticket of any kind.
The carrying case that you will also get with this device will provide you with an effective way to keep it safe when traveling with it. There is also a cigarette adapter with USB jack and mute key included.
- Designed for quiet operation with auto mute feature.
- Extremely effective at detecting signals from radar guns within a large area.
- Free GPS updates that you can take advantage of through Uniden’s website.
- Comes with a thick carrying case to keep the device from getting beat up.
- Undetectable to almost all SPECTRE radar guns.
- Very sensitive without giving you lots of false alerts.
- Sharp OLED Display that provides you with detailed threat information.
- A few complaints from customers about the power button sticking.
This radar detector is a wonderful choice for those who want accurate signal detection on a consistent basis. You will definitely get your money’s worth with this device. It costs around $400, which isn’t bad at all for what you get.
- Escort Max 360 Radar Detector
The Max 360 radar detector from Escort has a number of unique features, including built-in wireless internet capabilities. This allows you to access the Escort Live Network to get real-time details on local threats regardless of location.
The windshield mount that you will receive with this radar detector is very sturdy and will keep the device firmly in place. Mounting the device to the windshield is very easy and takes only a matter of seconds.
The Spec mode of this device is one of the more advanced features, and it gives you radar frequency details for the back and front antennas in Gigahertz. This is definitely a feature that you will not find on just any of these devices.
Another advanced feature that this device boasts is Auto Learn, which utilizes the built-in GPS to reduce the number of false notifications that you have to deal with. This is a very accurate device, so you will rarely encounter a notification that doesn’t represent a real threat.
The K-band sensitivity of this radar detector is absolutely impressive, though it doesn’t have quite as much range as some other Ka-band devices on the market. You will still get a considerable range with notifications though. You won’t need to worry about being alerted of a speed trap just seconds before seeing the police car.
An OLED display will show you the strength of signals that are detected, giving you a good idea as to just how close you are to the nearest threat. It can store thousands of individual locations, which significantly increases your chances of avoiding speed traps as well as red light cameras.
The combination of visual and audio notifications that this device gives you will make it easy to stay alert the entire time that you are driving. The voice alerts will make it so that you don’t have to look away from the road to get these details.
- Auto Learn feature quickly reduces false alerts to provide you with only notifications of real threats.
- Incredible K-band performance.
- Blind Spot Monitoring ensures that you never miss any potential threats while on the road.
- Gives you detailed information about frequencies on OLED display.
- GPS system allows you to get real-time info on speed traps in whatever area you happen to be in.
- 360 degree protection from all sorts of threats.
- Excellent range that gives you time to slow down before being pulled over.
- You may experience problems with false alarms at first until the Auto Learn feature kicks in.
- Radenso Pro M
The huge range of this radar gun is part of what makes it such a popular model. You can rely on this device to provide you with adequate protection for miles in every direction. Those who purchase this product will have constant access to both email and telephone support. There is also a manufacturer’s warranty that lasts for a full year.
This device filters out false alerts so that you only get accurate results. It carefully analyzes the nature of each radar signal that is detected before notifying you. This happens within a matter of milliseconds, so it doesn’t affect your reaction time at all.
The GPS technology that this radar detector uses keeps a stored memory of false notifications on the routes you drive the most. This means that you will never have to deal with the same false alerts more than once. This is a feature that you don’t get from most other radar detectors, so it is quite special. If you ever want to set a GPS lockout, all you have to do is pretty a single button.
Automatic sensitivity adjustment is a common feature among high-end radar detectors, including this one. This feature will help you to get accurate notifications for every environment that you find yourself in while behind the wheel. Whether you are on crowded city streets or a lonely stretch of highway, you will be covered.
The extensive pre-loaded database of red light and speed cameras will help you to avoid potentially disastrous situations while on the road. There are over 6,000 of these locations for comprehensive coverage. The built-in USB port in this device allows you to connect it to your computer to get free updates for life. You will never be asked to pay for any updates, and they can help you maintain the best quality protection from a variety of threats.
- Long range capabilities will give you more than enough warning to avoid getting ticketed.
- Low noise amplifier gives you clear notifications even from distant signals.
- Highway, City and AutoCity modes to choose from for the perfect sensitivity.
- OLDED display that will provide you with crucial details on detected signals.
- Undetectable by Spectre and VG-2.
- Clear voice alerts that will allow you to stay focused on the road.
- The BSM filtering could use some improving.
The Pro M radar detector can help you avoid getting very expensive tickets for speeding, whether you are driving on the highway or in the city. It features a sophisticated modern design that can work well for anyone.
- Beltronics GT-360 Radar Detector
This radar detector is designed to provide you with complete 360-degree protection against speed traps and a wide range of other threats. It responds very quickly so that you will also have time to respond. There nothing more infuriating than being alerted of a speed trap just before you see a police car and then get pulled over as a result.
The AutoLock feature studies your route carefully to avoid false notifications. It is also designed for effective filtering, so you can alerted only when there is a real threat present in the area. The IVT filtering in particular helps eliminate false alerts, which will make it a lot easier to be prepared for threats.
All of the speed trap details you get from this radar detector will be accurate and quick, allowing you to slow down before the police car comes into view. You can get crowd-sourced notifications from the ESCORT Live mobile app as well. It is highly recommended that you use this app because of how helpful it can be with identifying everything red light cameras, speed traps and other things.
There are numerous directional arrows on this device that will tell you where the threat is. You can customize the multi-color display to show you the information you want. It will tell you the strength and type of any threat that is detected right away. The voice alerts are clear without being overly loud or annoying. You can set these alerts to be in either Spanish or English.
When you order this device you will receive a USB cord, the device itself, a magnetic mount, and instruction book so you know how to use it without any complications. It is very easy to mount with the simple magnetic design.
- Designed to give you accurate results with minimal number of false alerts.
- Filtering for city and highway driving.
- Auto mute future reduces volume of voice alerts to the level you set.
- Real-time information speed traps and other kinds of threats with the ESCORT Live app for Apple and Android smartphones.
- Magnetic mount makes it easy to set this device up in your vehicle.
- Voice notifications always make it clear when there is a threat.
- Directional arrows show you where each signal is coming from.
- 360-degree coverage so that you get the protection you need to avoid getting ticketed by police.
- Could be a bit expensive for people who are on a budget.
- Valentine One Radar Detector
The Valentine One radar detector is one of the best options you have when it comes to these devices. While this series of devices has been around since the early 90s, there have been quite a few improvements made over the years.
This particular radar detector is capable of identifying Ka, K, and X radar bands. It also picks up on the kinds of laser signals that come from modern police radar guns. You will get the full protection you need, as it leaves nothing to chance. Whenever a threat is detected, you can refer to the directional arrows to see where it is coming from.
With a versatile design and fantastic range, this radar detector can pick up on signals from miles away from where you are driving. The range of the device you get is very important, as it will determine how much time you have to slow down before reaching a speed trap. You will be notified of these threats at least a mile or two before reaching it.
A lot of these devices claim to filter out false alerts, but very few of them can actually deliver. This Valentine One is designed to notify the user of actual threats only, so all of the irrelevant signals are completely ignored. If a junk signal is identified by the device, you will see an indication of this on the display.
The sleek black matte finish of this device is very attractive and modern. You can mount it on your dash for easy viewing at all times while driving. There is no metallic finish whatsoever, so you won’t have to deal with any bright reflections when you are on the road. It has an incredibly sturdy overall design, so it is built to last. If you are going to purchase a radar detector, you might as well get one that won’t break anytime soon.
One of the best things about this radar detector is the amazing laser reception, though it is not 360 degrees. You still get protection form modern radar guns used by police though.
- Designed specifically to immediately recognize and ignore junk signals.
- Get coverage on the front and rear of your vehicle while driving.
- Solidly built for years of use.
- Indication arrows on this device tell you which direction every threat is coming from.
- Fewer false alerts than many other radar detectors on the market.
- Simple design makes this device very easy to use.
- Does not use GPS technology, which means no red light camera or speed camera notifications.
There are lots of radar detectors that you can purchase, but the Radar One is among the very best. You don’t get all of the bells and whistles that you would with some other models, but it is a very good deal at around $450. This device can help you avoid being ticketed for speeding and other traffic violations by warning you of threats well in advance.
- Escort Max II HD Radar Detector
A lot of people search for the elusive radar detector that offers both built-in GPS technology and an effective long-range design. With this device you will get both, making it one of the more impressive models available on the market today.
The GPS feature of this radar detector is very useful because it cuts the number of false alerts you get in half (if not more). If you are tired of dealing with devices that give you junk alerts on a daily basis, this is a great investment to make. The Max II comes with a sticky cup mount that you can attach to your windshield for complete stability at all times while driving.
On the top of this device you will find six different buttons that turn it in and off, modify the volume, and perform a number of other functions. All of these buttons are backlit so you will be able to see them clearly at night. When you receive an alert, the buttons flash. This means that you will never miss any notification from this radar detector.
The OLED display of this device is bright and can be seen clearly, whether in the middle of the day or at night. There is Auto mode, Auto NoX mode, and Highway mode. All three of these options can be very useful for getting the sensitivity just right according to your location.
The seven LEDs that are lined up at the base of the radar detector light up slowly for a smooth transition. On the display you will also be able to see the current speed of your vehicle. This particular feature can be great for those who do not already have a digital speedometer, as it is very easy to read.
You will have a number of display colors to choose from, including red, amber, and green. This will allow you to be completely comfortable with the display so you aren’t distracted from the road. It is set to Novice mode by fault, but you can certainly change it.
Activating the Engaging Advanced feature will provide you with a number of settings that you can use to customize the device how you want. Selecting Meter mode will provide you with a bar graph and other important data. The sheer amount of information that this radar detector gives you is quite impressive to say the least.
- Features a 3.5mm headphone jack for audio alerts.
- AutoLearn will help you get only accurate notifications of real threats.
- Speed Alert mode will tell you when you are driving over the speed limit in any given area so you can avoid getting a ticket.
- Wide range that covers a huge amount of distance in all directions.
- LEDs that flash when you get an alert for complete visibility in the daytime or at night.
- All buttons on this device are backlit.
- Multi-color OLED display.
- Does not come with USB cable.
- Still uses same screen from previous versions.
There are very few negative things that one can say about this radar detector. It is a great option for pretty much anyone who wants to stay aware of speed traps on the road. Available for around $350, you definitely get a lot for the price.
- Cobra Electronics DSP9200BT Radar Detector
Cobra Electronics has been a major player in the radar detector market for a while now, and they certainly have tons of quality products to offer. The first thing that you will notice about this device is its small size and great-looking design. These radar detectors have gotten progressively smaller over the years, and this one is the smallest yet.
This device does an exceptional job of filtering out signals that don’t represent actual threats, even in the city. You will of course have numerous sensitivity options to choose from, depending on where you are driving. One of the more unique things about this radar detector is its ability to help you avoid collisions. If you want to stay as safe as possible out on the road, this is a must-have device.
The Cobra DSP 9200 BT features a Bluetooth design that will allow you to connect with iRadar, which is a social media mobile app. This app can provide you with invaluable real-time details on speed traps that have been spotted by others. You will also be able to find out about red light and speed cameras that can result in a pricey ticket if you aren’t careful. This app has a very simple user interface, so you shouldn’t experience any issues with it.
When you are using this device in your car, you will be notified of known speed traps in the area. This will provide you with plenty of warning so you don’t get caught going over the speed limit by a policeman with a radar gun. The device adjusts the sensitivity depending on your speed and whether you are on the highway or in the city.
There is also a very nice OLED display, which has become a fairly standard feature with a lot of higher-end radar detectors. The voice and tone alerts will make it perfectly clear when there is a threat somewhere in your area.
- Can be used with iRadar mobile app for real-time information on speed times and traffic cameras.
- Beautiful and crisp OLED display gives you all of the information you need about various threats.
- Voice and tone alerts allow you to stay abreast of threats without compromising your safety.
- Effectively avoid speed traps where you are driving.
- Huge range of this device means that your chances of being caught speeding by police are very low.
- Lowers false alerts with advanced filtering design.
- K-band detection could be better.
This Cobra Electronics radar detector is a vast improvement on previous models from this company, but it isn’t quite perfect. This device is, however, still worth looking into because of its many great features. It can help you get all of the information you need to avoid all variety of threats, including speed traps and red light cameras.
- Escort iX Long Range Radar/Laser Detector
The Escort iX is an incredibly powerful long-range radar and laser detector. It comes with a bracket that you can attach to your windshield. There are lots of incredible features that you will get with this product, including an OLED display, which is a huge upgrade from the previous LED display.
You will find that the sensitivity of this device changes according to how fast you are going at any given time. This automatic sensitivity adjustment feature is state-of-the-art and can help with giving you the best possible results. This product is known for its conspicuous lack of false alerts, though you might have to deal with one occasionally.
The size of this radar detector is somewhere in between—it’s not slim and sleek or big and bulky. It has a black and grey color scheme that is fairly neutral and should fit in with the interior of your vehicle. On the very front of the device you will see a number of details, including the speed your car is traveling at as well as signal strength and the type of band detected.
This radar detector can pick up on K-band, X-band, Ka-band, and SuperWide Ka-band. You will be completely covered from all sorts of threats with this device. The DPS technology combined with the numerous sensors for detecting laser beams make this a really impressive radar product.
The proprietary design of this device makes it unlikely that you will receive a lot of false alerts. It instantly recognizes and rejects non-relevant band signals so that you will only be alerted to legitimate threats like speed traps.
Another amazing feature of this device that you will be sure to love is the Defender Database, which will provide you with the latest information on red light cameras, speed cameras, and other things that can result in hefty fines if you are caught speeding. It is also compatible with the Escort Live mobile app, which provides users with real-time information for all sorts of threats.
- Auto-learn GPS design that remembers the routes you take to help you avoid speed traps and additional threats.
- Bright display that shows you the speed of your vehicle, strength of all signals detected, and the band.
- Capable of detecting all sorts of bands for full protection against speeding tickets.
- Very simple and straightforward design that you shouldn’t have any problems with.
- Adjusts the sensitivity automatically to match your driving environment so you don’t have to do it yourself.
- Multi-color LED display.
- Clear audio alerts that make it unnecessary for you to have to look away from the road to learn about new threats.
- Magnetic mount that you can use to easily attach this device to your dash.
- Can be difficult to see the display in the middle of the day.
The Escort iX may not be the most impressive radar detector from this company, but it still has a lot to offer. It is important that you spend some time considering this option, as it is a very good deal for the money that you will spend.
- Escort 010037-1 Max 360C Radar Detector
The built-in Bluetooth technology of this device will provide you with the ability to utilize this company’s mobile app, which offers real-time details for many different threats on the road. There is an entire community of users that contribute to this app to help each other avoid speed traps, red light cameras, and other potentially expensive encounters.
The IVT filter is a system that is constantly updated to minimize false notifications, which can be quite annoying. There are also 360-degree directional indicators that light up to tell you which area all threats are coming from at any given moment. This information will help you know where the threats are so you can avoid them all the more effectively.
Digital signal processing or DPS technology makes it easy for this device to quickly identify threats in the area you are driving. This means that you can count on this radar detector to tell you about upcoming speed traps long before they are actually come into your field of vision. The more prepared you are for these threats, the easier it will be to avoid them altogether.
On the OLED display of this device you will see the strength of all signals that are detected along with your vehicle’s speed. The speedometer feature can be particularly helpful because of its digital format. You will be warned whenever you exceed the speed limit for a given area.
The 360C radar detector comes with a sticky mount that you can easily attach to your dash or windshield for versatile mounting. It will always provide you with detailed threat information so you can stay informed at all times with minimal effort.
- Complete 360-degree protection that helps you avoid a wide range of threats.
- Detailed information on the OLED display gives you signal strength in bars as well as your vehicle speed.
- Mute button that will allow you to cancel audio alerts quickly with the push of a button.
- Onboard Wi-Fi capabilities will give you access to the Escort Live app.
- Updatable system helps to virtually eliminate false notifications so you only get accurate threat results.
- Sleek design with neutral colors that goes well inside just about any vehicle.
- Helps you avoid getting speeding and red light tickets.
- Accurately detects ka-pop band, ka-band, x-band, and laser signals.
- Takes a bit of tweaking until you get it functioning just right.
- The mobile app can be a bit troublesome at times.
The Max 360C lacks of some of the features of other devices in this series, but it is still an excellent choice for the average person.
With so many radar detectors available on the market, it can be difficult to select just one. We really like the Radenso XP Radar/Laser Detector for a number of reasons, including its beautiful display, versatile design and sophisticated anti-false alert technology. Before you decide on one of these devices, you should consider all of your options.
Those who are on a budget but still want to get a good radar detector will certainly have a number of options to choose from. The fact is that you don’t have to spend a ton of money to get one of these devices. The more time you spend looking at some of these devices, the better your chances will be of finding the right one at a price you can afford. This article will help you make the right selection on the best radar detector under 100 so you can get exactly what you need.
- Cobra ESD7570 9-Band Radar Detector
This Cobra radar detector may not have all of the impressive features that you get with other radar detectors, but it is still worth looking at nonetheless. It can pick up on the most common frequencies that are known to be used by police.
One of the best features of this device is its ability to avoid detection from the latest Spectre and VG-2 technologies. If you want to avoid having police identify this device in your vehicle, you will certainly be glad for this feature. You will find that this device ignored signals that originate from devices that are not used by the police to avoid false alerts.
This radar detector offers coverage for nine different bands, so you will definitely get the protection you need. There is a very bright display that will clearly tell you whenever a threat is detected. You will also get 360-degree protection in every direction, so you aren’t left exposed in any way. The safety alerts that this device issues will tell you about any emergency vehicles that are in the area so you can avoid them completely.
When you order this device you will get the radar detector, suction cup mount, windshield bracket, power cord, and instruction manual. This device does come with a warranty, but you are unlikely to need it. Despite the low price of this device, it is made quite sturdy for years of regular use.
While some people tend to avoid low-priced radar detectors, this one is a great deal. It has laser detection capabilities, and you will be made aware if a signal is picked up in any direction when you are driving. You can adjust the volume on this device very quickly and easily without any hassle whatsoever. There are tone alerts that activate when a threat is nearby, and they are quite clear. The mute function can sometimes come in handy when you need to reduce the volume of audio alerts for whatever reason.
All threats that are detected by this device appear on the display and the in the form of an audio alert, so it is virtually impossible to miss them. The type of frequency that is detected can be seen on the front LED display.
- Decent range that will let you stay aware of local threats before they become a problem for you.
- Responsive buttons that will quickly and easily allow you to perform a variety of functions.
- Voice alerts that make it unnecessary to look away from the road while you are driving.
- Comes with a warranty.
- You get all of the hardware you need to mount this device in your vehicle.
- Offers 360-degree protection from all manner of threats.
- Doesn’t include built-in GPS.
- No instructions that explain the difference between tones.
This radar detector is not a top-of-the-line model, but it is a great mid-level selection for those who want to save some money. It has quite a few useful features and works well for most people.
- Meter LLC Radar Detector-$30
The advanced heterodyne technology that this radar detector is designed with means a large range that will alert you of threats that are miles away. This way you won’t have to deal with getting a ticket if you are exceeding the speed limit on the highway or in the city.
When you are coming up on a location where a speed radar gun is in use, this device will let you know through specific audio tones. There are also voice alerts that you will get to stay aware of upcoming threats. This device is not affected by VG-2 radar detector detectors at all, so most police won’t be able to pick up on yours.
This radar detector will also be able to identify radar guns that use POP band frequencies, which have become quite common in recent years. You will find that this feature will help you reduce your chances of getting caught speeding by police. It will notify you of threats up to 2500 meters ahead, giving you lots of time to slow down or change your driving behavior appropriately.
With the ability to detect numerous types of frequencies, this radar detector is quite impressive as a whole. It stores settings information so that it remembers and you won’t have to change them back every single time. This device can pick up on x-band, k-band, ku-band, and ka-band frequencies. It will also recognize laser beam signals and notify you if any threats are found in your area.
There are up and down arrows on the top of the radar detector that will allow you to modify the volume per your preference. The MENU button will allow you to go between City and Highway mode whenever you want. You can also use this button to switch the language to either English or Russian.
The auto mute system all but gets rid of false notifications completely. It is able to instantly detect when a signal is not coming from a police device like a speed radar gun. False alerts are a big problem with lots of radar detectors, but this is certainly not one of them.
- Capable of picking up on numerous band frequencies so you are completely covered for all sorts of threats.
- Protection against identification from VG-2 radar detector detectors.
- Identifies POP mode radar guns so you don’t get caught speeding down the road.
- Adjusts the sensitivity of the device according to the speed that your vehicle is traveling at.
- Detects x-band, k-band, ka-band, and ku-band frequencies.
- False alerts are not a significant problem.
- Solid and durable design for years of good use.
- Comes with car charger and anti-slip mat that you can put on your dash.
- Does not offer protection against identification from SPECTRE radar detector detectors.
This radar detector is pretty basic, but it is still potentially beneficial for a lot of people. Despite the low price tag of around $30, there are many excellent features. It has an impressive overall design to be sure.
- Cobra XRS9370 Radar Detector
The Cobra XRS9370 will provide you with an effective way to avoid getting pulled over by the police for speeding. There is nothing worse than getting a $200 speeding ticket, and this device can help you stay aware of these threats. Cobra is a very trusted brand when it comes to this type of technology.
This radar detector’s LaserEye feature is constantly searching for laser signals 360 degrees around your vehicle at all times. With the proliferation of laser beam radar guns, you will definitely be glad to have this feature. There are also City and Highway modes that you will have to choose from to get the sensitivity just right. These settings will reduce the number of false alerts that you get, so you can focus on your driving without being distracted.
The Ku-band detection will pick up on all radar guns that use this technology. With more and more police departments using these devices to catch speeders in the U.S., it is crucial that you are fully prepared. It can pick up on all 14 of the radar and laser bands at a large range, so no more last minute slamming on the brakes when you see a police car.
You will also have protection against VG-2 and SPECTRE detection devices, which have become incredibly common within the past five years or so. This is an especially important feature for those who live in an area of the country where radar detectors aren’t allowed.
All of the safety alerts that you will get with this device will let you know about all sorts of emergency vehicles that are near your location on the road. These alerts can also be useful for learning about different types of road hazards. The more informed you are about these things, the safer you will be on the road.
With a completely FCC-compliant design, this radar detector will show you the strength of all signals it picks up on with an easy-to-read bar meter. It has a memory function that remembers all of the settings that you choose for your convenience.
- City and Highway modes that can help you get just the right sensitivity where you are driving.
- Compact design that won’t take up much room in your vehicle.
- Ku-band detection mode will quickly and easily pick up on these radar guns used by police.
- Very large range that will provide you with lots of advanced notice so you don’t get pulled over by police.
- Gives alerts when SPECTRE or VG-2 device is detected in the area.
- One of the fastest warning systems on the market right now.
- Get alerts about hazardous road conditions and emergency vehicles so you remain safe at all times when driving.
- Doesn’t work very well against laser guns
- Some problems in big cities.
- Whistler CR75 Laser Radar Detector
The Whistler CR75 laser radar detector is a great improvement on some of the previous models in a number of ways. While this may be one of the cheaper radar detectors on the market, it still offers quite a few modern features that you will definitely be glad to have. It Is designed to almost completely eliminate false positive notifications for 99% accurate alerts.
With this device you will have protection against the various types of radar guns, including those that use K-band, X-Band, and SuperWide Ka-band frequencies. When you are searching for the right radar detector, you definitely want one that will provide you with comprehensive protection.
The POP mode offers advanced detection for short but powerful radar bursts. The Traffic Flow Signal Rejection feature is also helpful when it comes to providing you with alerts for only legitimate threats. Considering the low price of this device, the technology behind it is very impressive.
There is a text display as well as audio alerts whenever a threat is detected by this device. This will provide you with an effective way to get alert details without putting yourself at risk when driving. It’s never a good idea to take your eyes off the road if you can help it, and this device lets you do just that.
The laser detection feature will keep you safe from laser-based radar guns at all times from all directions. When you consider just how many laser radar guns are being used by law enforcement, this feature is very important.
The blue LEDs on this device will flash whenever a threat is detected, and you can clearly see them. The fact that there isn’t any app integration with this device is a bit disappointing, but it is to be expected when you look at the price.
- Quick detection of various band frequencies that are commonly used by police.
- 360-degree protection against laser radar guns.
- Traffic Flow Signal Rejection keeps false positives to a minimum.
- Voice alerts and a complete text display gives you all of the information you need on threats that are identified.
- Fairly large range.
- Comes with a detailed user manual.
- Device sometimes picks up on non-relevant signals.
Those who are budget-conscious but need a new radar detector should think about getting this one. It has a lot of useful features that can help you with staying on the good side of the law while driving.
- Ruidon M6 Laser Radar Detector
The Ruidon M6 is certainly proof that you don’t need to spend a lot of money to get quality a good quality radar detector. This device is capable of detecting the latest radar guns so that you aren’t at risk for being caught speeding ever. There is a LED display that will tell you everything you need to know about the threats that are detected.
Those who have this device in their vehicle will get complete 360-degreee protection from threats like speed traps and much more. You will be able to set the sensitivity of your radar detector with the push of a button (City or Highway). This will make it possible for you to keep false alerts down as much as possible so you just don’t have to deal with them.
The voice alerts that are issued by this device clearly tell you which threats are detected and how far off they are from your current location. This will allow you to react accordingly so you don’t get a big expensive ticket. There is support for Ku, Ka, K, New K, and even Lx bands.
This radar detector is completely immune to VG-2 and laser technology, so you won’t ever have to worry about being discovered. Anyone who lives in an area where the use of radar detectors is limited or not allowed should keep this feature in mind.
The range of this device is quite impressive, especially when you factor in the price. You will have at least a mile or two before you actually pass the speed trap or other threat that you have been alerted to. This device will rarely ever notify you of a threat just before you go by it.
- Cannot be detected by VG-2 technology.
- Voice alerts in English and Russian for clear notifications of threats.
- Heterodyne technology extends the range of this device so that you will have all the time you need to react to threats.
- City and Highway sensitivity options that let you keep false alerts down to a minimum while getting the information you need.
- Remembers all settings to make it easy for you to get the results you want from this device on a consistent basis.
- Capable of detecting 16 different bands.
- LED display that gives you detailed threat information to help you.
- Detection range of 200 to 800 meters.
- Features digital speedometer on the LED display.
- Device itself is made of somewhat cheap plastic material.
- Whistler XTR-145
The Whistler XTR-145 will give you 360 degrees of protection around the entire perimeter of your vehicle. This device can detect laser radar guns as well as k-band, ka-band, and x-band frequencies. There is an icon that you will see on the display if a threat is detected. You will be provided with detailed information for every threat so you are kept informed at all times.
The LEDs on this radar detector flash when a threat is detected. When you order this product you will get the device itself as well as a power cord, bracket kit for windshield mounting, and a detailed instruction guide. This guide will provide you with all of the information you need to get started.
One of the great things about this radar detector is how easy it is to use. Most people have absolutely no problem figuring out how this device works. It can detect any VG-2 devices in the area, so you can avoid detection from law enforcement. The tone alerts will provide you with alerts to let you know when a threat is in the area.
When there are two or more signals detected by this device simultaneously, it prioritizes laser signals, VG-2, speed radar, than safety radar. This means that you can count on it to alert you to the most important threats first.
The Vehicle Battery Saver Mode that this device offers will turn itself off in three hours if you do not do so yourself. The timer automatically gets reset if the radar detector is turned off or unplugged at any point. You will be notified with an audio warning prior to this happening.
The Safety Warning System is designed to help you to stay safe while you are driving on the road, specifically the freeway. You will be notified of moving or stationary ambulances and other emergency vehicles. There are also separate alerts for road constructions and different types of road hazards. This information could keep you from getting into a horrible accident.
One of the more unique things about this radar detector is that it has three different City modes. This will make it easier than ever before to get the most accurate results possible when you are driving in the city.
- Cannot be detected by VG-2 devices that law enforcement are known to use.
- Quiet and Auto Quiet modes to keep the noise level of audio alerts low while allowing you to learn about any current threats.
- Prioritizes the most important threats first for your own protection.
- Safety Warning System keeps you up to date about any emergency vehicles in the area as well as dangers on the roads.
- Two additional LEDs that flash when there is an alert.
- Has problem with false alerts while driving in the city.
This radar detector is certainly on the cheaper end of the spectrum, but that doesn’t mean it’s not worth investing in. This device is very useful for anyone who wants to avoid getting ticketed for speeding.
- Cobra SPX 900
This device an detect seven different radar signals and offers 360 degree protection so you are always covered from all directions on the highway or in the city. The range on this device is very impressive to say the least. You are likely to receive warning about threats a good mile to two miles in advance.
You will always be alerted when any SPECTRE or VG-2 devices are detected in the area. The POP mode will detect the latest radar guns that are used by police, so you can get the best possible results. There are safety alerts that you will get to let you know about everything from railroad crossings to emergency vehicles that could cross your path. These warnings will help to protect you from potentially dangerous accidents.
The Auto Mute function of this device will reduce the number of frustrating false positive alerts that you will have to deal with. This device does return some false alerts once in a while, but it is mostly in the city. It can identify laser beam radar guns that are frequently used by police so you will be able to stay one step ahead of them at all times.
This radar detector is designed to provide you with 360-degree protection against all manner of threats on the road. When you get protection in every direction, you instantly increase your chances of not getting caught speeding.
Find out what your proximity is to any given target with the five level digital signal strength meter on this device’s display. The LED display will tell you what you need to know about the threats that are detected. It can pick up on X-band, K-band, Ku-band, and Ka-band frequencies near your location when driving.
Switch between City and Highway modes to get just the right amount of sensitivity at any given time. If you want to get the best most accurate results when it comes to identifying threats, you will need to make a point of using the sensitivity settings.
This is one of the best-priced radar detectors from Cobra, and it offers quite a few nice features that can help you prevent receiving some very expensive tickets. It will be extremely difficult for most police to detect this device in your car because of how it is designed, though it’s still theoretically possible.
- Alerts that will help you stay safe on the road and aware of emergency vehicles, both stationary and moving.
- Capable of recognizing all major band frequencies used by police for monitoring vehicle speed.
- City and Highway modes allow you to modify the sensitivity of the device when necessary.
- Cannot be detected by either SPECTRE or VG-2 technology.
- Very impressive range allows you plenty of time to slow down before encountering a speed trap on the highway or in the city.
- POP mode can detect the radar guns that are being used by lots of police these days.
- Some complaints from customers about lots of false alerts.
While it may be true that this radar detector is not top of the line, it is still a great choice for those who want to protect themselves from sudden speed traps and emergency vehicles while driving.
- Warmhoming Radar Detector
The two main operating modes that you will have to chose from with this radar detector include Highway and City. You will find that each of these settings offer a different sensitivity. It is important to select the right option according to your geographic location so you can get accurate alerts for nearby threats.
The auto mute system activates when a false threat is detected. This means that you don’t even have to deal with listening to any unnecessary noise from this device. It is also capable of detecting laser radar guns, which many police officers use in speed traps. If you want to keep from getting pulled over, you will certainly be glad for this particular feature.
The OLED display of this radar detector is certainly attractive, and it will always give you accurate threat details, including a bar chart that indicates signal strength. When you can see the strength of each signal, you will know approximately how far away they are.
Another wonderful thing about this device is how easy it is to use. There is nothing complicated about the device of this radar detector, so anyone can use it without any issues. When you want to adjust the volume, there are plus and minus buttons that you can press. You will also be able to switch between the sensitivity settings very easily.
When you order this product, you will get the device itself, an anti-slip mat for the dash, a user manual, and DC 12V power cord. This is everything you need to get started with using your device.
This device cannot be easily identified by radar detector detectors, which are used by a lot of police departments these days. If you want to stay “under the radar” so to speak, this feature is certainly important. If the police cannot tell that you are using a radar detector, there is no way that you will get in any trouble.
- Auto shutdown feature makes it virtually impossible for this device to be detected by police.
- Able to recognize all common band frequencies used by police for catching speeders.
- Change the volume of the audio alerts from this device quickly and easily with the push of a button.
- City and Highway mode options will let you get just the right amount of sensitivity in accordance to where you are driving.
- OLED display is bright and clear even in the daytime, and it shows the strength of all signals that are detected around you.
- Instructions that come with device are a bit unclear.
With this radar detector you will get all of the basic features and a few extras that make it well worth the money you’ll spend. This is an effective device for getting adequate protection from speed traps that police set up.
- AZGGN Radar Detector
The intelligent design of this radar detector gives you the most accurate results when it comes to speed trap detection. It can provide you with 2500m advanced notification, so you know about threats before they can spot you. There are voice alerts that will make it easy for you to know about any close threats without having to divert your attention from the road at all.
Full 360-degree coverage detects threats from every angle around your vehicle, so you won’t have to take any chances. The LED digital display makes it easy to see which treats are near your location with signal strength details so you know where the signal is coming from. This proprietary technology is the best you will get for the price.
This device can quickly and easily detect K-band, Ka-band, and X-band frequency speed traps in the U.S. The additional range will provide you with the time necessary to lower your speed so you aren’t in any danger of getting pulled over and ticketed. The front, back and sides of your vehicle will all be covered.
Those who purchase this product will get the radar detector, a power cord, anti-slip mat and user guide with comprehensive instructions on how to use it. There is even a 1-year warranty that comes with this device. The customer service can be reached easily if you ever have any problems that you need resolved.
Whether you are traveling in an open rural area or in a bustling city, you can trust that you will always get the best results. An icon that represents each threat will be displayed as soon as it is detected. Audio alerts are clear without being overly noisy, so you won’t be distracted from your driving at any point. You can adjust the brightness of the display with the quick touch of a button.
You will also be able to change between City and Highway mode very quickly to get the right sensitivity. There are English and Russian language options available. The volume buttons on top of this device will allow you to decide how loud or quiet you want the audio notifications to be.
- 360-degree design offers coverage from all sides for comprehensive protection against a variety of threats.
- You receive warning of speed traps and other threats at least 250m before they appear.
- LED display gives you all of the information you need on threats.
- Voice alert feature will tell you when a threat is close by.
- City/Highway sensitivity options will keep false alerts down whether you are driving through busy city streets or on the freeway.
- No built-in GPS or integration with mobile apps.
- Occasional false alerts in urban areas.
The many useful features of this device make for an excellent way to pick up on legitimate threats like speed traps wherever you travel on the road. You will get a 12-month warranty with this device as well. It is easy to use and shouldn’t give you any major problems.
- Lazaga Radar Detector
There are many features that are offered by this radar detector that can benefit you immensely when you are driving. This device uses unique technology to provide the largest possible range with threat detection so you never get caught off guard by any speed traps. It is designed to recognize signals from all radar guns that are used by the police in both the U.S. and Europe.
The Auto Mute feature ensures that you don’t have to deal with threats that aren’t related to police activity. Whenever this device detects a non-legitimate threat, it instantly mutes it so you don’t hear anything at all. The built-in GPS will let you know as soon as an upcoming speed trap is found by confirming it with an audio notification.
You can look at the bright display of this device to see the strength of all signals that are detected as well. There is absolutely no way for VG-2 radar detector detectors to pick up on you because of the signal jamming design. With these devices becoming more commonly used among law enforcement, this feature is very important to say the least.
The laser eye detector will give you the ability to detect threats from all sides of your vehicle, so you don’t have anything to worry about. This device is incredibly easy to install and can be done so in a matter of minutes. You will get a detailed instruction manual with this product that explains how to set it up right out of the box.
- Auto mute feature cancels out any false alerts before you even get a chance to hear them.
- Capable of detecting POP mode radar guns.
- Laser eye detector that covers every side of your vehicle for complete protection.
- GPS will tell you where each detected signal is coming from and alert you with an audio notification.
- Easily adjust the volume with the button on top of the device.
- Bright display will clearly give you all details that are relevant to detected threats, including signal strength and band frequency.
- Excellent range for the price, giving you enough warning to slow down so you can avoid getting pulled over and given a ticket.
- No protection against red light cameras or speed cameras.
This device will make for a great addition to any vehicle for those who want to protect themselves from speed traps on the side of the road. The technology behind this radar detector is surprisingly sophisticated, making it a great overall deal.
You don’t want to choose just any radar detector, because your selection will mean the difference between passing a police car without issues and getting an expensive ticket. We love the Cobra XRS9370 most of all because of its comprehensive protection and low price. There may be other radar detectors with more bells and whistles, but this one still has a lot of power and a smart design. It is definitely the best radar detector under 100.
Top Radar Detectors Today for Under $200
Best Radar Detector for the Money
If you are on a budget and want to get a radar detector for less than $200, you will need to know what kinds of options you will have. The following is a list of the best of these devices that you can get at very affordable prices.
Cobra ESD7570 9-Band Performance Radar-$75
The Cobra ESD7570 is just one of the radar detector options you will have, but it is a good one. It has a number of useful features, including a DIM button that will allow you to modify the brightness of the display. There is also a mute button that you can use to turn off the audio alerts at any given time.
There are highway and city modes that you can switch and back and forth to quickly and easily. These modes will allow you to set the sensitivity of the radar gun to match wherever you happen to be driving. City mode will reduce the number of false detections from towers and other things in the area.
The 360-degree LaserEye feature is definitely worth mentioning. This feature will provide you with complete laser beam detection, which will provide you with alerts about police in all directions. Not all radar detectors have this feature, but it is an important one.
This radar detector’s display is a crucial feature that you will want to learn about. There is a bottom and bottom display that will provide you with indicators for all of the different settings and features that are active. The “L” stands for laser detection, and the “C” stands for City mode.
Installing this radar detector is fairly simple and straightforward. Those who have dark tinted windows might not be able to get the most out of the laser detection feature. Most people should be able to install this device in their vehicle within a matter of minutes. The cables can get a little bit messy, but it’s not that bad.
- 360-degree laser detection for complete coverage.
- Speaker that gives audio alerts when a police presence is detected nearby.
- Very easy to install
- Mute feature that allows you to turn off audio alerts quickly.
- DIM button that will allow you to choose from three brightness options for the display.
- Different indicators on display for different features.
- City and Highway modes for varying sensitivity.
- No instructions that detail what the different sounds mean.
Cobra Radar Review
Beltronics RX65-Red Professional Series Radar Detector-$120
The RX65 radar detector from Beltronics has a convenient design with clamps that attach to the windshield to keep it stable and steady at all times. It also has suction cups and for additional stability. We really like the fact that this design is so discrete, which can be useful for those who live in an area where radar detectors are illegal.
The LED display will provide you with all the information you need at any given time. The top part of the device points to the rear of the vehicle so you can get coverage from behind. There are numerous buttons lined up on the top for controlling sensitivity, brightness, and power. This will allow you to get the detector functioning exactly how you want.
Volume buttons face the driver and can be easily pressed to lower or increase the loudness of audio alerts. It is also very easy to modify the brightness or sensitivity of the device according to when and where you are driving. If you want to turn the volume all the way down, simply hold down on the button for a few seconds.
The basic display of this radar detector is no-frills, but it does show the laser bands that are recognized as well as a series of bars that will tell you the strength of the signal. When a band is detected, you will hear a number of beeps along with a voice telling you so. You will hear “laser” if a laser beam is detected. A voice will say “X band”, “K”, or “Ka”, depending on the situation.
Autoscan is the default mode for this device, which means that it adjusts the sensitivity according to the signals it is picking up. If you want to change the sensitivity, all you have to do is press the “City” button. The three sensitivity options that are available with this device include Autoscan, City, and Highway. If you switch it to City mode, the device will begin using X band radar.
- Many great programmable features to choose from.
- Laser detection front and back.
- Quickly and easily modify sensitivity and brightness according to where you are driving and the time of day.
- Clean user-friendly design that is easy to understand right away.
- Quick-touch buttons that don’t require you to use much pressure.
- Multiple sensitivity settings.
- Very afford option for those who are on a budget.
- Doesn’t offer 360-degree laser detection (just front and back).
- Range can be limited at certain speeds.
Escort PASSPORTR S55 Radar/Laser Detector-$140
If you are looking for an affordable radar detector that can provide you with an effective way to stay alert of police presence while driving, this is a good choice. You will find that this device is able to detect both laser and radar signals. It has a v-tuned receiver for receiving alerts even from way far off. This means that you will have plenty of time to react before the police see you.
The audio-sensitivity mode that this radar detector uses is brand exclusive, and it can pinpoint speed traps that come from a wide range of sources. No matter what kind of technology the police officer is using, this device will pick up on it.
You will have three unique meter displays to choose from, including SpecDisplay, Standard Graph Bar, and ExpertMeter. You simply select the mode that you think will benefit you the most in any given situation.
There are a total of 280 extremely bright LEDs on this device that light up for different alerts. You also have a text option to choose from, which can be very useful. You’ll never have to worry about not being made aware of a possible threat with this device.
When you purchase this radar detector, you can make certain adjustments to make it function perfectly for the speed you are going at any time. Changing these settings is very simple and easy, so you shouldn’t have any problems whatsoever.
The dark and light modes will allow you to see the display perfectly no matter what time of day or night you are driving. Adjusting the brightness on this device is very easy, and it can certainly be useful. There is also a mute function when you want to completely stop audio alerts for whatever reason.
There is also the Escort Live app that you can install on your smartphone. This app will provide you with real-time information on speed traps wherever you go. Not a lot of these devices have their own mobile apps, and this one is partially community driven with cloud technology. It is definitely worth getting if you purchase this radar detector.
- Three meter displays that allow you to clearly see alerts.
- Hundreds of bright LED lights that will tell you when a signal is picked up by the device.
- Voice alerts that notify you when policed are near.
- Mobile app that you can get real-time information from when driving.
- Easy to tune and modify to your specific needs.
- Autosensitivity feature that blocks false alarms.
- Long-range warning so you have time to modify your driving before it is too late.
- Has red lights instead of blue.
- Some customers have complained about many false alarms.
AUKI Radar Detector-$89
This radar detector features a high-performance design that detects mobile radio speed monitors as far as 250 meters ahead. It also has a sophisticated AutoScan processing feature with voice alerts to avoid getting pulled over and keep your speed under control.
There are both city and highway modes that will let you keep false alerts to an absolute minimum when driving in more urban areas. The super-heterodyne technology that this device uses will give you a large range for detecting speed monitoring devices far off in the distance. The more notice you have, the easier it will be to slow down before getting pulled over by police.
You will find that this radar detector has an LED panel as well as voice alert to provide you with audio and text-based notifications while you are driving. You can easily control the volume of the voice alerts that you receive so you’ll always be able to hear them clearly. There are clearly-marked “+” and “-” buttons to indicate increasing or decreasing volume with just the push of a button.
With this radar detector you will get 360 degrees of total coverage with voice warnings for X-band, K-Band, and Ka-Band signals to let you know about upcoming speed traps. These cover all different frequencies that are used in the U.S.
Those who order this radar detector will receive the device itself as well as a power cord, anti-slip mat, and detailed user guide. All of the instructions for this device are clearly laid out, so you shouldn’t have any trouble understanding how to use it.
This radar detector has a lot to offer with plenty of useful features and innovative proprietary technology that you won’t find with any other product on the market.
- All-around 360-degree coverage that allows the device to detect signals from every direction around your vehicle.
- City and Highway modes allow you to choose the sensitivity of the device.
- Intelligent design gives you a good range of up to 250 meters for plenty of time to react to speed traps.
- LED panel that gives you text-based alerts.
- Voice alerts that clearly tell you when a signal has been identified.
- Turn the volume or down easily with just the push of a button.
- User-friendly design that anyone can get used to quickly without any issues.
- No lights that glow up when signal is detected.
Whistler 5050EX Laser Radar Detector-$100
The Whistler 5050EX offers those who want to get a radar detector for a reasonable amount should take a close look at the Whistler 5050EX. While this device is quite large and bulky, it is also fairly powerful. It features a field sensor that keeps reduce the occurrence of false alerts to keep the results as accurate as possible.
You will find that this radar detector is completely programmable, so you will be able to customize it exactly how you want. You can choose exactly what you want to see on the display at any given time. There are also dim and dark modes depending on your own preferences and what time of day you are driving.
When it comes to volume, you will have Quiet and auto Quiet modes to keep the noise level down if you want. There are also manual volume buttons that you can use to get it exactly where you want.
There are three different modes to choose from, including city, highway, and filter. The filter mode lets you adjust the device according to your driving. Highway mode is designed for use on the highway, and city mode is for when you are driving in more urban, dense areas.
The 360-degree mix coverage that you get with this radar detector will ensure that it can pick up signals in every direction, even from the sides. Since most speed traps are on the side of the road, this is a very useful feature indeed. The filter mode will allow you to filter out false positive alerts so that you are only notified when there are police scanning for speeders nearby.
This is definitely one of the most innovative radar detectors currently on the market. It has a uniquely effective design that you can count on to provide you with consistently accurate results.
- Includes field disturbance sensor that cuts down on false alarms to help you protect yourself from speed tracks more effectively.
- Provides you with alerts for up to half a mile away to give you lots of time to react.
- Affordable option even for people who are on a budget.
- Scans for things that cause interference so they do not become a problem.
- Capable of detecting many different types of signals.
- Tells you about locations with speed cameras.
- Three different sensitivity modes to choose from.
- It is a bit bulky and mounting it can be a bit cumbersome.
Cobra XRS 9470-$120
The Cobra XRS9470 features a voice alert feature that clearly tells you which band has been identified without any confusion. The quick sweep circuitry gives you a larger detection range than you will get with most of these devices.
There is also a Pop Mode that can detect the most recent radar gun technology used by police. It uses VG-2 technology and offers Spectre Alert. This way you will always know when you are being monitored by certain radar detectors that could cause problems.
The City and Highway modes let you choose the sensitivity that you want for the radar detector so that you can set it according to where you are driving. You will find that the City mode can be very useful, as it helps to reduce false alerts that can trip you up when driving in denser areas.
This XRS 9470 can detect seven different radar signals as well as six laser signals from all directions, including the sides and back. The ultra-bright display shows icons for each band, so you always know which ones are picked up on. The voice alerts can be very helpful when it comes to having enough time to react so you don’t get ticketed by a policeman.
- Versatile design that allows this device to function effectively on long stretches of open road, even with curves.
- Capable of identifying seven different radar signals and six laser signals.
- Offers complete 360-degree coverage for laser detection wherever you are.
- Bright display is constantly visible when you are driving at any time of day or night.
- Voice alert function provides you with clear notifications.
- City and Highway modes allow you to change the sensitivity of the device depending on your specific driving circumstances.
- Pop Mode that can pick up on the most current radar gun technology used by policy.
- Some customers have commented on how this radar detector has problems with interference in crowded urban environments.
CHICOM Laser Radar Detector-$24
The CHICOM radar detector has GPS technology that can make your driving safer. The Safety Alert feature will give you all the relevant information for threats verbally so you don’t have to take your eyes off the road.
This device can detect signals across numerous wavelength bands, including VG-2, Ka, Ku, K, and X. This means that you don’t have to worry about if your device is going to detect police that are scanning for speeders while you are driving.
Highway and City modes ensure that false alerts are kept to a minimum so you can trust that the radar detector will only pick up police scanners. There is a multi-colored LED panel that lights up bright to display all of the icons and details you need. You can customize the way the information is organized so it is easily readable. You will always know which band is being picked up by the device just by looking at the LED display.
When you get close to a radar source, this device will notify you in a highly audible voice. There is also a text alert that you can receive if you so choose. One of the unique things about this device is that it has stores the settings that you choose so you don’t have to reset them every time.
- Bright LED display that will give you text alerts whenever a signal is detected.
- Get detailed information about the band that the device identifies.
- Clear voice alerts that will help you know about threats without taking your eyes off the road.
- Product comes with silicon pad so your radar detector doesn’t keep sliding off the dash.
- City and Highway modes make it very easy for you to choose the sensitivity of the device
- Long range gives you ample time to react to threats so you don’t receive a traffic ticket.
- Supports English and Russian languages.
- Capable of detecting signals across many different bandwidths.
- No 360-degree laser detection.
Uniden DFR5 Long Range Radar Detector-$150
The Uniden DFR5 long-range radar detector offers one of the more accurate solutions on the market today. It features an extended range design that will ensure you are made aware of threats up to half a mile away. This device cannot be detected by Spectre 1, so you will remain inconspicuous while driving your vehicle.
This device also features text alert readout, so you won’t have to look away from the road to find out if a signal has been detected. There is a signal strength meter to let you know the approximate strength of the detected band. The City and Highway modes can be useful for different situations, depending on where you are driving. City mode means less interference and fewer false alerts.
The K, Ka, and X-band detection of this device means that you are completely covered for all different band signals. The DOT matrix display is clear and easy to read so you will know which signals the device picks up at any given moment.
There is also the 360 degree laser detection that can detect laser beams coming from the front, back and sides of your vehicle while you are driving.
- Cannot be detected by Spectre 1, IV+ or IV.
- DOT matrix display is very easy to read.
- You will get DC charging cabs as well as mount to keep the device stationary.
- 360 degree laser detection for comprehensive coverage.
- City and Highway modes allow you to change the sensitivity with the push of a button.
- Mute button to quickly turn off voice alerts whenever you want.
- Dim function will lower the brightness of the display.
- Shows the signal strength in bars very clearly.
- Problems reported about the mount not working very well with the device.
Beltronics PRO 100-$175
The Beltronics Pro 100 is definitely one of the best options available on the market right now. You will find that this device is packed with all sorts of interesting features that will help you avoid getting ticketed by police while driving.
The Pro 100 features a POP mode, which offers increase sensitivity for better results. This device is designed to detect all of the laser guns and radar devices that are used by U.S. police. The microprocessor in this device can provide you with alerts within 500-milliseconds of detecting a threat.
One of the great things about this device is that it is incredibly easy to use. There are numerous options that you will have to choose from, so you can customize everything to your liking. You simply will not find many other radar detectors that are quite as easily programmable as this one.
You will have multiple sensitivity modes to choose from, and the traffic sensor rejection feature weeks out false alerts. There is an auto-mute feature that decreases the volume of alerts automatically so you don’t have to take your hands off the steering wheel. When this feature activates, you will still get all of the information you need.
The ultra-bright LED DOT matrix display that this device uses will give you detailed information on detected threats. There are four different brightness settings that you will have to choose from. These settings include Standard, Night Travel, Full-Dark, and Discreet. This way you will be able to get the necessary details without being distracted by the brightness of the screen.
The visual and audio alerts are crystal clear and easy to understand, so you will never struggle to determine what it tells you.
- Extremely sensitive while still providing accurate, filtered results for maximum effectiveness.
- Very simple design that makes this device easy to use.
- Numerous sensitivity modes that you can choose from to match your driving environment.
- Clear audio and text-based alerts that give you the information you need.
- Designed to detect all laser and radar guns that are used in the U.S.
- Bright LED display that gives you all relevant details when a threat is detected.
- Mute button allows you to turn off volume quickly and easily.
- Alerts you of upcoming threats within a matter of milliseconds.
- Sometimes this device picks up false alarms, especially in more urban areas.
Whistler CR85 Laser Radar Detector
The Whistler CR85 is yet another great option for those who want to keep from getting pulled over while on the road. This particular device offers 360-degree all around protection. You will be notified via text and/or voice alert when a signal is detected.
The traffic flow signal rejection feature will help you stay under the radar when it comes to getting noticed by police. There are three different filter modes that help keep false alerts to a minimum, so the results are as accurate as possible.
This device comes with a user manual that clearly explains how everything works. You will also get a 12-volt power card, direct wire kit, windshield bracket kit, and dash pad so the device doesn’t move around while you are driving.
The alert periscope has LED lights that will provide you with a clear indication of a received signal, so you will know exactly when to slow your vehicle down. The digital display is large, bright and completely clear. It is very ready to read the display, so there is no confusion about the signals received.
- Alert priority design shows you the most important signals as soon as they are detected.
- Long range detection means that this device can spot threats as far as ½ mile up the road.
- Safety warnings will provide you with highway notifications to help you stay safe when driving.
- 360-degree coverage can detect signals from every single side of your car.
- Results are generally very accurate with few false alerts.
- Detects K band, x-band, and super wideband ka.
- Three different city modes to choose from.
- Some complaints from customers about device producing loud whining noise.
Escort Passport S75g Radar Detector
The Escort Passport S57g has just about everything you need to stay alert of police speed traps while you are driving on the open road. This device comes with a slip-free mat to keep it stable at all times. It can pick up on K-band, X-band and even SuperWide Ka-band signals.
This radar detector also gives laser warnings so you will know when there is a threat nearby. The Safety Camera Database that this device uses comes with many locations of speed cameras and red light cameras. This is one feature that you will not find with just any radar detector, making it fairly unique.
The bright blue display will give you all of the information you need when the device detects a threat. An audio and text alert is issued whenever a threat is detected, so you will definitely know right away. It is designed for accuracy and to minimize false alerts.
The AutoSensitivity mode of this device changes the sensitivity according to how fast your vehicle is traveling, so you don’t have to do is manually.
- Device automatically changes the sensitivity depending on how fast your vehicle is traveling.
- Entire database of speed camera and red light camera location so you can easily stay aware and avoid tickets.
- Can detect signals on a number of different bands.
- Blue light display is very easy to read, even in the middle of the day.
- Able to effectively determine which signals pose an actual threat.
- You must pay extra to use the live feature of the mobile app associated with this device.
Beltronics V10 Radar and Laser Detector
The V10 radar and laser detector has quite an impressive range, so it is able to detect threats far enough down to the road to where you can react before the police can catch you speeding. There are voice alerts that will tell you whenever the device picks up on a threat in the area. These alerts are enunciated very clearly.
This device has a programmable design that will let you set everything up just how you want. The operating bands for this radar detector include ka-band, k-band, and x-band. It can also detect laser beams.
The autoscan technology that this radar detector uses will provide you with the accurate results that you are looking for.
- Able to detect signals from numerous types of bands.
- Autoscan feature makes staying aware of threats very easy while you are driving.
- Voice warnings will provide you with the information you need without having to endanger yourself by looking away from the road.
- Designed for complete customization.
- Automute feature will let you turn down the volume of the voice alerts with the press of a button.
- Digital signal processing provides you with a far range for early threat identification.
- Does not offer 360-degree protection against laser signals like some other models.
While there are many different radar detectors available on the market, we like the Beltronics Pro 100 the most. This radar detector is available for around $175, and it has packed with all sorts of useful features. It has a bright LED display and is very easy to use. If you want an effective way to avoid getting pulled over for speeding, this device is worth taking a close look at. The more time you invest in researching these options, the better of a decision you can make.
If you want to find the best radar detector under 300, you will need to first examine all of your choices. Despite what you might think, they are actually a lot of quality devices for an affordable amount that can help you stay safe on the road without worrying about getting speeding tickets. With all of the different threats that exist, you will definitely need to make a point of exploring these options. The more research you do into radar detectors, the closer you will get to making the best possible decision overall.
The Whistler CR90 offers numerous advanced features and functions that can provide you with just what you need to keep from getting pulled over by police for speeding. It has quite a nice-looking design that will enhance the aesthetic of your vehicle’s interior. There is an OLED display that gives you threat messages in blue text that you should have no problem reading.
You will also get full laser detection, which identifies even the most modern of radar guns that police are known to use in speed traps all across the country. There are a series of buttons on this radar detector that will allow you to modify the volume up or down as well as choose the sensitivity.
This particular radar detector is GPS-capable and can provide you with real-time data to avoid speed traps and cameras as well as red light cameras. Those who don’t know where these threats are located are just setting themselves up for big tickets.
There are multiple filter modes that you can use to get only accurate threat information with minimal false notifications. Urban areas can be particularly troublesome when it comes to false alerts, but this device can help you avoid them almost entirely. The CR90 has different City mode options that you can go through to find the right one for where you are driving.
Those who buy this radar detector will also have six other filter options to choose from. These settings will let you get the best overall performance from this device. Changing the sensitivity will also alter the alert priorities, so you will need to keep that in mind.
Audio alerts will let you know whenever the device picks up on a signal that is close by. The range of this device could definitely be better, as it averages around 0.7 miles. Sometimes you will have more time to react to threats, but not always. It is important that you play around with the sensitivity settings so you can get the best performance from this radar detector.
The red light and speed camera notifications will make it easier than ever for you to avoid getting expensive traffic tickets later on in the mail. A lot of people don’t even realize that they were caught by one of these cameras, which is why you need this device. It has an entire database of these threats, so you get the details you need at all times on the road.
- Alerts for red light and speed cameras in your area so you know exactly where they are.
- Multiple City mode options to choose from for achieving the perfect performance in urban areas.
- Audio alerts aren’t too quiet or loud.
- Offers protection from all sides of your vehicle against laser beam radar guns.
- Six different filter modes to choose from so you can only get alerts for actual threats.
- Capable of identifying multiple types of radar detector detectors.
- Range could be larger.
While the range of this radar detector leaves a lot to be desired, it’s still important to take a close look at some of the other features it has. This is a fairly cheap device, but its design is still fairly impressive.
Escort is certainly known for their quality radar detectors, and the X80 is no different. The long-range protection that you will get with this device will let you avoid speed traps on the side of the highway and in the city. You’ll find that this device can identify frequency signals on K-band, Super Wide Ka, and X-band. This means that it is very unlikely that you will be surprised by any threats that the road has to offer when you are traveling on it.
One of the best reasons to think about getting this radar detector is the Escort Live app, which it is fully compatible with. You will be able to use your vehicle’s Bluetooth to sync up the device with the app for real-time alerts. These alerts will notify you of areas where red light and speed cameras have been found by others in the Escort Live community. This crowd-sourced app is invaluable for all drivers.
This device features a multi-colored OLED display that will give you the strength of any signals it detects immediately. You can use this feature to your advantage, as it will give you an accurate idea as to where the signal originated from.
The dual language design of this device will allow you to get alerts in either Spanish or English, depending on your own personal preference. It is fully customizable and remembers all of the settings, so you don’t have to set them back each time you use it.
You can always rely on clear voice alerts when a threat presents itself. Adjusting the volume either way is just as easy as pressing a button on the top of the device. There is a “-” button for decreasing the volume and a “+” button for increasing it. You will also have a big “Mute” button if you want to turn off audio notifications completely. The power button is located on the left side of the device for turning it on/off.
The Caution Area alert will tell you about any area with known speed traps or traffic enforcement cameras that could result in you getting a ticket for speeding or something else. The tone alerts are fairly low but still audible, so you won’t be blasted with annoyingly loud sounds while you are driving.
- Voice alerts that will tell you whenever a threat is close by very clearly.
- Bar graph that shows you the strength of any detected signal.
- Expert Meter feature will give you more detailed information that you can use to analyze individual signals.
- LED display is bright but not overwhelming at night.
- Multiple dimming features to choose from for the display.
- Auto Mute option that you can turn on and off at any time.
- Great overall deal for the money.
- Integration with the mobile app.
- Dual language.
- Has some problems with false alerts.
The Escort X80 is a cheap but useful device to have in your vehicle. It has all of the basic features that you would expect from a radar detector, and it works well for the most part. While this is definitely nothing more than a mid-range radar detector, it can still fulfill the needs of most people who want to keep from getting speeding tickets.
Uniden DFR7 Long Range Radar Detector-$250
There are many great features packed into this little device that you will want to know about before making a decision. The built-in GPS lets this radar detector find red light and speed cameras to notify you of them. These cameras can be extremely difficult to identify without help, so this feature is incredibly useful.
There is also a feature that will warn you when you approach or go over the maximum speed limit for a given area. This feature doesn’t always work, but when it does it can save you a lot of money in speeding tickets. This device can be charged with a standard DC power cable and mounted with a suction cup mount, which are both included.
The bright OLED display tells you the band frequency of detected threats along with the signal strength in GHz. There is a Mute button on the left side of this device that you can press whenever you want to lower the volume of audio alerts. The voice alerts will notify you whenever a threatening signal is picked up.
This device’s built-in GPS weeds out false signals to keep the results as accurate as possible. It is able to recognize most band frequencies that are associated with radar guns used by law enforcement in speed traps all over the U.S.
- Simple design that makes it easy for everyone to use without any issues.
- Speed warning system lets you know when you are exceeding the speed limit in a certain area.
- Bright OLED display gives you detailed information about each detected signal, such as strength (in gigahertz) and band type.
- Capable of recognizing most common bands so you are completely covered.
- Sleek attractive design in classic black color.
- Onboard GPS cuts the number of false notifications in half.
- Somewhat old design with occasional accuracy problems.
The overall range that this radar detector offers is far superior to many of the other devices that you will find on the market. It can detect a vast majority of police band frequencies, so you won’t get caught speeding due this type of shortcoming. It also has a very nice display that is bright and clear.
Escort Passport S75-$200
Escort radar detectors are widely regarded as being the best of the best, and for very good reason. This detector is similar to some of the other models from this company, but with a few differences. It offers protection against all bands, including K-band, X-band, and Ka-band. There is just no sense in getting one of these devices if you aren’t going to be completely covered.
One of the more interesting features that the S75 has to offer is the ability to create your own hot spots for traffic enforcement cameras, allowing you to help out your fellow drivers. You can also benefit from these pre-loaded locations by avoiding certain areas yourself. Updating the database can be done quickly and easily by logging onto the Escort website and connecting your device to your computer.
The quick-release mount for your windshield is very stable and durable, so you won’t have to deal with it constantly falling off like so many other models from other companies. This mount is included with the product, as well as a travel cause, coiled power cord, and reference guide. It is highly recommended that you take at least a quick look at this guide so you know everything you need to about the device.
AutoSensitivity mode will set the proper sensitivity level by how fast your vehicle is going at any given time. This means that you don’t have to worry about setting the sensitivity manually, which can be annoying. It quickly learns your route and gives you alerts about speed traps and traffic cameras within the general area to keep you from getting pulled over.
- Comes loaded up with an entire database of locations of known traffic cameras so you can avoid getting tickets.
- High-resolution display is bright and clear.
- Learns your route and sends you relevant alerts for all kinds of threats that could pose a problem.
- Detects Ka-band, K-band, and X-band frequencies.
- You get a charging cable for your car as well as a travel case to keep the device safe when you are on the go.
- Mute button and volume controls on top of device make it easy to modify the noise level of audio alerts.
- You cannot filter the K-band warnings.
The Escort S75 is worth taking a close look at, especially if you want a quality radar detector for a price that isn’t completely outrageous. It will be able to keep you on your toes when it comes to avoiding speed traps and different types of law enforcement threats.
Cobra iRAD Radar Detector-$200
With the ability to detect virtually every type of radar gun that is used by police, this device can save you quite a bit of money in tickets. What really makes this radar detector special is the fact that there is a whole community of users who contribute to its overall effectiveness. These users post warnings about red light cameras, speed cameras and speed traps every single day.
A voice alert is always issued by this device whenever a suspicious signal is detected. The design of this device minimizes false alerts so you don’t slam on the brakes for no reason. You will see the LEDs on the front flash when there is a threat of any kind. On the top you will find a button that is reserved specifically for dimming the brightness of the lights. This will allow you to get it exactly where you want so it isn’t overly harsh.
There is another button on this radar detector that can mute the volume immediately, and a “report” button that saves a certain area as a hot spot. You can press the report button if you notice a speed trap or some other sort of threat that you want others to know about.
The anti-falling circuitry is why this device is so accurate with very few false notifications. It is constantly searching for non-legitimate threats to cancel out before you are even notified. This technology can successfully identify everything from garage door openers to other radar detectors for the purpose of filtering and prioritizing threats.
You can activate the Quiet Drive function when you don’t want audio alerts quite as often or at all, depending on your mood. This button can be very useful if you take a phone call or just want to listen to some music while driving.
Those who have this radar detector can connect to the official Cobra mobile app to get real-time protection and information about any type of police activity in the area, including speed traps. This app is used by thousands of people across the country, and many of them contribute to the database daily. This kind of crowd-sourced solution is really the most effective way to tickets for traffic offenses of all kinds.
- Connect the device with your smartphone via Bluetooth to take advantage of the app for real-time information on nearby threats.
- Protects against laser beam speed guns that are used by police all over.
- Fewer frustrating false alerts to deal with on a regular basis.
- Audio alerts that let you know when a threat is close without being obnoxious.
- Quiet Drive mode will instantly silence the audio notifications to give you peace and quiet.
- Anti-falling circuitry will filters out all signals that aren’t coming from police.
- A few complaints from users about the mobile app not functioning perfectly all the time.
Considering all of the amazing features that you will get with this radar detector, we are surprised it doesn’t cost more. It is more than adequate for most people whose goal it is to avoid getting caught speeding by police or even traffic cameras.
The Whistler Pro 3700 is another great radar detector choice for those who value performance above all else, though it does have quite a nice aesthetic as well. It can protect your against K-band, K-band and SuperWide Ka-band frequencies. This device also senses for laser beam signals and alerts you to them immediately.
This particular model is a great improvement on some of the ones that have come before it. The TFSR or traffic flow signal rejection feature offers four unique modes designed for filtering signals in different types of areas while you are driving. This translates into less false alerts, which is always a good thing.
There is an LED display that can be switched a few different ways for your convenience. The Field Disturbance Sensor Rejection can detect and reject irrelevant signals within a fraction of a second so you never even have to hear them. There are three separate auxiliary ports as well as two options for displaying the strength of signals that the device picks up. When you know what the strength of the signal is, you get a pretty good idea as to how far away it is.
You will also have three city modes to choose from, which is actually pretty rare even with modern radar detector models. There is only one highway mode, but it works quite well. Those who use this device while cruising along the highway shouldn’t expect very many false alerts whatsoever. Most people get speeding tickets on the highway, so you should keep this in mind.
This device prioritizes alerts within milliseconds so you hear are notified about the really important ones first. It can actually distinguish between signals that are caused by police activity and other kinds that you don’t need to be worry about at all. It won’t be thrown off the collision avoidance systems that are found in a lot of modern cars.
One of the best things about this radar detector is that it has a nice clean and simple look, so there is absolutely no room for confusion when it comes to using it. Even those who have never operated a radar detector in the past shouldn’t struggle with this one at all.
- A great radar detector for those who want fewer false notifications.
- Four filter modes that can help with giving you the best and most accurate alerts every time.
- The modular design is very versatile and allows for installation in virtually any vehicle.
- Effective protection against all of the common frequency bands that are associated with police activity.
- Bilingual text display.
- LED display that you can turn however you want.
- Some customers have reported receiving connectivity errors when starting this device up
This radar detector is a pretty thrift choice, but it’s also a good one overall. This device has a lot of the features that you have come to expect with a couple bonuses. The four filter modes that are offered mean fewer false alerts than ever before.
Escort Solo S3-$200
The Escort Solo S3 is a huge step up above the Solo S2 in many different ways that you will want to learn about. All of the buttons except one is located on the very front of the device, but there isn’t an LCD display anymore. Instead you will have an OLED display that works rather nicely with the rest of the radar detector.
On the front of this device you will find the up and down arrows for increasing and decreasing volume respectively. There is also the power button that you can use to quickly turn it on and off. There is also a green indicator light that will tell you if it is on Highway, City, or Auto City mode. The “M” button will allow you to change the sensitivity without any issues whatsoever. The “Release” button on top will release the device from the mount when you need to take it off for whatever reason.
There are nine different programmable features that will allow you to customize this device to your exact liking, which is something you won’t get from just any radar detector on the market. One of the things that a lot of people love about this device is that it is cordless. It runs on 2 AA batteries, but you can use the proprietary power cord instead. These days more and more people are moving towards getting wireless radar detectors because there isn’t any cord that gets in the way.
The Digital Signal Processing technology that this radar detector is based on can filter out signals from nearby sources that aren’t related to police activity so you never hear or see them through the device. The scanning frequency discriminator also helps with keeping the number of false notifications down to a minimum at all times. There are lots of different things that can set off a radar detector, so you will certainly be glad to have this feature.
- Nine fully programmable features so you can set this device up however you want.
- Capable of detecting laser beam signals from newer police radar guns.
- Digital signal processing technology helps to ensure that you don’t get more false alerts than is absolutely necessary.
- High-resolution display is quite impressive.
- Always see the strength of signals that are received so you get an idea as to their location.
- Changing the volume for audio alerts is as simple as pushing one of the two buttons.
- Three different sensitivity modes allow you to enhance the performance of this device depending on where you happen to be driving.
- Some documented problems with Ka-band frequencies.
There are surprisingly few issues with this radar detector, especially when you consider that it’s not as costly as a lot of top-of-the-line models that are on the market today. It is highly recommended, especially for those who spend a lot of time driving on the highway.
Escort Passport X70-$175
You will be hard pressed to find a radar detector with better overall performance than the Escort Passport X70 in this price range. The laser sensors will give you the necessary long-range results to keep you safe from police threats down the road. A lot of these devices don’t warn you until it is already too late, making them essentially worthless. This is a piece of technology that you can trust to give you accurate results at the right time.
The Auto Sensitivity mode, which is found on most other models from this company, focuses on signals from legitimate threats instead of other things that don’t pose any threat to you whatsoever. It is designed to quickly interpret each of the signals it gets for your benefit. A vast majority of people who have purchased this device do not complain about lots of false alerts, and there is a good reason for that.
The Live Radar mobile radar app that this device works in conjunction with can revolutionize the way you respond to threats like speed traps and red light cameras on the road. You will get the real-time information you need to avoid situations that can easily lead to an expensive ticket. A lot of the drivers who use this app help each other out by uploading data son “hot spots”, which are areas that are known for having some sort of police activity.
You will get information on the signals this device picks up in the form of a bar graph, which is extremely easy to understand at first glance. There is also an Expert Meter for those who are very familiar with these devices and how they work. The Spec Display option will go even more in-depth with the signal information, though not everyone will be able to use it effectively.
One of the things about this device that you won’t get with others is alerts for areas that have had recent major speed limit changes. The last thing you want to do is drive through one of these areas without knowing the new speed limit beforehand.
- Designed to detect X-band, K-band, and Ka-Wideband frequencies immediately.
- LED display should you a bar graph of the signal strength.
- Special Expert Meter that breaks each signal down by detailed criteria.
- Spec Display gives you all of the information you need on detected signals.
- Get notified of areas with recent major changes in speed limit.
- Use the Live Radar mobile app to get real-time information from other users so you don’t find yourself in a speed trap or going through a red light camera unknowingly.
- Eliminates any signals that aren’t completely relevant.
- A few complaints from customers about device rattling a bit while driving.
Escort is known for producing some of the best radar detectors in the world, and this is a nice mid-range device that you should at least consider. It can effectively help you navigate the roads without putting yourself at risk for all sorts of traffic tickets.
Radenso SP Radar Detector-$199
While this radar detector is considered entry level, it offers top-quality performance that can help you steer clear of tickets for different traffic infractions. The laser detector will pick up on signals from modern radar guns that are used by police. There is also an Auto Sensitivity mode that will instantly change the sensitivity of the device to match where you are driving for the best possible performance.
Perhaps the best thing about this radar detector is its long-range performance, giving you at least a solid mile to two miles before you actually encounter any threats. The alerts are clear and displayed on the LED screen along with the signal strength. It filters out the false alerts that can become very irritating over time with other models.
This device is compatible with the ESCORT Live app, which you can install on your phone for free. You can choose to pay a monthly fee for a premium subscription to gain access to other features. Even the basic features of this app can be useful to say the least. It has thousands of people making their own contributions to help you locate speed traps and traffic enforcement cameras.
The real-time network that comes with the mobile app is the ultimate way to stay aware of the threats that lurk out on the road. You can expect X-band, K and KA-band identification from this device, which covers most of the frequency bands that are used to catch people speeding.
This product comes with a bracket that you can install on your windshield to keep it mounted securely all the time. The mount doesn’t wobble around or fall off like so many other devices that are being sold on the market today. You will also be able to see a bar graph that tells you the signal strength for every threat that this device picks up on. The stronger the signal, the closer the threat is to where you are.
The v-tuned radar receiver is precisely why this device has such a long range, making it a lot more difficult to get caught speeding, whether it is on the freeway or in the city.
- Minimal interference from non-relevant threats due to intelligent filtering design.
- Can be used with the Escort Live mobile app to get you real-time information on potential threats along your routes.
- One of the most powerful laser detectors on the market right now.
- Adjusts the sensitivity automatically in response to your driving environment for the most accurate threat alerts.
- You get access to the latest speed limit information and notifications when you exceed the limit.
- The volume buttons could be a bit more responsive.
Escort Passport S55-$150
The Passport S55 is quite a bit different from many of the other radar detectors you have owned or researched. This device has quite an advanced design that can easily detect any laser radar guns that are being used in your vicinity while driving. The AutoSensitivity feature makes it easier to get quality results without having to do any manual pressing of buttons.
Long-range K and Ka-band identification means that you will know about upcoming threats a long time before the police ever actually see your vehicle. There is a whole network of users that upload information to the Escort Live mobile app, which can be very advantageous for you.
The Mute function can be handy for when you want to silence audio notifications at any point while you are operating your vehicle on the road. There are also highly responsive volume buttons that will allow you to control exactly how loud these alerts are.
When you look at the LED display of this device, you will see a bar graph that shows you how strong the signal for a given threat is. The Spec Display setting will go into more detail about these signals, which can be useful if you know how to read them properly.
One unique aspect of this device is that it can display up to four unique signals at once, and it prioritizes each of them from most to least important. This will let you see all of the threats that are in your immediate area. You won’t find a lot of other modern radar detectors that have this feature, and it can be a great thing to be sure.
- Long-range design for both Ka and K-band frequencies gives you more-than-adequate protection against myriad of threats.
- Filters out 95% of threats that are not relevant so you aren’t constantly being annoyed by false alerts.
- Fully compatible with the Escort Live mobile app, which will provide you with the real-time information necessary to avoid speed traps and other threats on the road.
- Designed to perform well both on the highway and on the city streets.
- Auto Sensitivity mode will make the necessary changes to guarantee optimal performance wherever you go in your car.
- Displays as many as four different signals at one time.
- Display can be a bit bright at night, and there are no adjustment settings.
This radar detector is definitely not one that you should dismiss outright, even if it isn’t regarded as being “top of the line”. It has been rigorously tested and performs well just about anywhere with long-range performance capabilities.
We have looked over a lot of different radar detectors, but the Escort Solo S3 stands out as being particularly unique. This is the best radar detector for under 300, coming in at around $200. It has responsible buttons and is fully customizable with numerous settings. You can count on this device to help you stay aware of police activity that could result in your being ticketed.
Types of Radar Detectors
There are a few different types of radar detectors that you should be aware of prior to shopping around. There are corded, cordless, and even what is referred to as remote mount. A cordless radar detector does not use a cord, so you don’t have to deal with a tangled mess.
A remote-mount radar detector is mounted to your vehicle permanently, so it is very difficult for anyone to steal. It is important to weigh your options when you are looking for one of these devices before making a choice on anything in particular.
There are some features that you should look for in a radar detector before selecting a certain one, including:
- Laser detection: This feature picks up on laser beams that are coming at your vehicle while driving. A good radar detector will recognize laser sensors that are coming head on as well as from the sides and from behind. If you want full coverage while driving, make sure that you get a device with 360-degree all-around laser detection. While these models can cost more, they are well worth it.
- Sensitivity modes: Most modern radar detectors have what are known as city and highway modes. The highway mode is usually where the radar detector is by default, whereas the city mode has less sensitivity for less interference from other things like automatic doors in businesses. It is highly recommended that you get a radar detector that is able to tell the difference between the various types of signals.
- Detecting radar detection: If you live in an area where radar detectors are not allowed, it is a good idea to get one that can detect when police are nearby using radar detector detection devices. This will help you stay out of trouble if there a police car in the area.
- VG-2: This type of radar detector technology used to be quite common, but it is still used in some of these devices today. This tech works by identify oscillations that are on a given frequency band.
- Spectre: This is the newer form of technology that a lot of radar detectors use, and you should try to find one that uses it. It works on numerous frequency bands and is able to identify even more signals from a radar detector than ever before. This technology has developed very quickly in recent years, and it is quite impressive.
- Voice alerts: Some radar detectors have voice alerts that will let you know very clearly when a police presence is near. These models are worth spending a little bit extra on because of how useful they can be.
- Visual alerts: There are other models that have visual alerts with flashing lights that are designed to tell you when trouble is close by without disturbing your passengers.
- GPS: A GPS radar detector can remember certain areas that you have driven in before so you will be alerted when you go there in the future. These devices can remind you about places that have speed traps or even speed cameras so you don’t get caught by one.
Radar Detector InfoGraphic
Getting the best radar detector for your vehicle can make it a lot easier to avoid getting ticketed by police when you are driving. These devices can be extremely helpful for those who have a tendency to speed sometimes or just want to know where cops are hiding out at any given time.